Saturday, May 16, 2009

Little House

We a storm roll in yesterday, nothing really bad. Just enough to block our satellite signal. Well, me and Katie have been here by ourselves since Wednesday and the tv kinda keeps us company. Liv has been in WV, some of our friends and family had damage due to the flooding there. Here dad's Law office had 4 foot of water in it and some of our friends had a lot of damage around their homes too. She went to see if there was anything she could do to help them out a bit. She came home today. OK, now, where was I ?? Oh yeah, the tv. After sitting there for a few minutes I though we would maybe watch a movie until the signal came back. After looking thru some of the dvd's I found Season 1 of Little House on the Prairie. Not really sure if Katie would go for I put it in anyway to give it a try. She love it !! We watched the first 2 dvd's yesterday and never even tried the satellite again that day.

I forgot just how much I enjoy that show. The love of Charles and Caroline warms my heart like you will never know. The simple look or touch they give each other sends chills all over me. If people only loved like that the world would be some place to live in today. The genuine goodness of the neighbors from Walnut Grove and their love for each other should be a model for us all. Only to watch as the community would come together when any of the others were in need gives me hope that one day we will live like that once again. With REAL peace and REAL love for our family and friends we would know a joy like the world has never known, one we could never explain to others. I know it's just a television program but I means so much more to me than just actors on a set. I can almost feel the love they have for one another and many times I caught myself getting a little choked up at their simple acts of kindness and love. I guess I'm a softy and some things can just turn my heart to mush. But I am not ashamed that I long for a life with the kind of love and peace that I see portrayed on that prairie and between that couple. If you say that you don't or wouldn't give anything for that kind of love you are either a liar or a fool. I know that not everyone is lovey dovey but we all need to feel loved and to be able to freely love others. I have a lot of love to give, and I do give it. But I could give so much more if I would only allow myself to do so.

I am just happy for my children to know REAL love from their parents. I am happy to have a family that I love and know that they love me too. A refresher course in love can be found in these simple old programs and I am so glad that we decided to watch them.
Chris

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never seen the show but great post. We need more fathers like you that are involved with their children.

matthiasj
Kentucky Preppers Network

Ron said...

Yeah, we watch LH on the P around here. It wouldn't have damaged the message to make it a bit more realistic... facial hair, dirt, chicken poop... even then, it's a great story. :)

I long for that sort of community too. Heck no, it's not perfect, but neither is the current situation. Perhaps the current upheaval will remind people of what is important.

Ron

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

I've never seen that show but know the love you are talking about. Especially today, we are so well connected with cellphones, etc we have no excuse not to be more neighbiorly.

HermitJim said...

I think slowly but surely some folks are starting to wake up and realise that the human condition is designed to make working as a community much more rewrding than not doing so.

Nothing wrong with feeling the need to love and be loved, my friend!

MamaHen said...

You are exactly right that everyone needs to feel loved and people do need to express love more openly and freely. Everybody needs to feel cared about. I don't know if it would change the world much but it couldn't hurt!

Gen-IL Homesteader said...

Wow, I'm amazed at the posters who have never seen LHOTP!! That was my favorite show growing up, and I made sure my kids watched it when they were growing up. I know just what you mean, Chris, about the love that was shown (and felt) on the show. The books are my favorites, and they exude the same loving feelings.

Anonymous said...

I grew up on LHP series, and loved the stories that much I bought every book of Laura Ingals Wilder I could lay my hands on. My children then grew up with it, and it's reflected I believe in their natures. If only whole communities could operate on the same moral and community levels! *dreaming*

The Scavenger said...

Matt, you got to watch some of those shows man. I know you would love them too. Thanks for that comment buddy, means a lot to me.

Ron, they do seem to stay pretty clean on their farm...lol A lot more so than I do. I hope that people will go back to those simple ways when it hits the fan, they may have to. Thanks for the visit my friend.

Joanna, you really need to watch it because I know you would love it too. They are simple people living in simple times. Thanks.

Hermit Jim, I'm not sure how we ever got away from that life but I know we need to try to get back if we can. Good neighbors that care about each other is the only way to have a real and good community. Thanks for coming over friend.

Annie, love is what really makes the world go round, not money. But I'm pretty sure you already know that. Hopping you find love and peace in your life so all will be a little more settled for you. Wishing you the best of everything. Thanks for taking time to come over and visit.

Gen, hell I thought everybody had seen LH on the P too. Not sure where these folks have been. LOL My sister used to have the complete set of books, I need to call her anyway. LOL Good to hear from you my friend. Thanks.

MOlly, those stories leave me just feeling better about everything in my life and wanting even more to do good. If you're gonna watch tv or read I think it should leave you feeling that way. Thanks for reading and commenting, I appreciate it very much.

Thank you all so much for stopping by to say hello. I've missed you all.

Chris

warren said...

Well done...fond memories of when I was a kid too...

DayPhoto said...

You are so right, so very right!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

~Brenda said...

I'm totally in love with LHOP, and am shocked there are people who have never seen it. Ha!

I can't believe I found this blog/post today. I've been talking about Little House on my blog too.

Will follow you from now on!

~Brenda

~Brenda said...

Oh, and I forgot to say, that I totally relate to those chills you get when you watch Ma and Pa interact with each other.

I crave life like Little House portrays. :-/ Not just between Ma and Pa, but the whole setting, town, and family feel.

~Brenda