Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Putting up Corn tonight !!

Well it's that time again, time to put up corn. Not sure why we call it that (putting up corn) but we do. We can everything else but for some reason we put up corn. I picked some today for supper with steak. This evening I hope to pick the rest and me and my mother in law will get started. We are gonna freeze some, can some and pickle some too. I will try to post pictures of the adventure tommorrow. I have been tilling up a garden spot to plant more cabbage, onions, lettuce and broccli. We are expecting (praying ) rain this weekend and I want to get the seed in the ground before then.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to have the recipe for pickled corn. Sounds like something we'd like.

Anonymous said...

I'm officially jealous of your corn! Ours did grow foot in 4 days, with 102* temps, but it is still along time until I have ears in the pot like you guys.

I'll send some rain your way - we have too much!

Marie said...

I'm thinking that we're going to have to have a moment of silence for our corn...and then try again next year. I guess it was just too cold for too long. My husband says we'll have to see, but I'm not that optimistic about the outcome. Glad you're getting some "put up"--looking forward to the pictures!

The Scavenger said...

Jackie, I'll post the recipe for the pickled corn soon I promise. Just been crazy around here.

Anonymous, Corn could have done better here for sure. Ground needs some more work this fall to get ready for next spring. Need lots more compost, ears weren't as big as they could have been, but that is ok.

Marie, Corn needs a lot of nitrogen to grow good. That is the problem here. This is new ground that we planted this year and the ground is not as good as I'd like. But all in all not tooo bad of a crop. I'll post pictures soon, just been too busy.

Thanks to all for the comments,

Chris

Ron said...

Your corn looks great, Chris! Ours really didn't do anything except hold some beans up... we'll try again next year, after I do some amending this fall.

I wish I could get dump truck loads of compost. :)

Ron

Duane k said...

We haven't yet harvested our corn, but I've always heard it called "putting up corn" as well!