Friday, July 25, 2008

The Ol' Boy Can Even Bake Bread

As most who have planted zucchini we have them running out our ears. We have been fixing them alot of different ways just to try to eat them fresh rather than freeze them all. We had zucchini baked with tomato (from the garden)and cheese for dinner today and it was great. Well they just keep on coming so why not zucchini bread. I have always wanted to learn how to bake bread and I'm not afraid to try new things so I found a recipe at cooks.com and proceded to follow instructions. The wonderful smell on cinnamon filled the house as I waited patiently to see how my first baked bread turned out. What a hit!! We ate half a loaf within 10 mins. Nuts are optional and I would have liked to have them but we were out and I wasn't gonna let that stop me. If the other loaf makes it through the nite we may freeze it and enjoy it later on in the fall. I'm not wearing a bakers hat just yet but the project was a success. Just goes to show that even a guy can bake bread if you just set your mind to it. I'm glad to have another skill to add to my ever growing list. I love to learn new things, it gets me excited and in this case everyone in the house was too. lol



8 comments:

Marie said...

That bread looks fantastic! Thanks for including the link to the recipe. We haven't planted zucchini this year, but it seems like we often end up with some from someone else's garden, and something like this would be more popular than say, just steaming it. Can't beat a piece of fresh-baked bread... :)

Anonymous said...

Hey do you hire out your baking skills? That bread looks very good. The worst part is when it disappears so fast! But it sure tastes good. Your family is lucky :)
What do you mean nuts are optional?

The Scavenger said...

Thanks gals, the bread is even better than it looks if I do say so myself. I do hire out my baking skills but I'm sure no one can afford me. hehe!!!

Nuts can also be baked in the bread. Plenty a nuts live here just none willing to be baked into the bread. haha!!

Ron said...

That bread does look great! So do your ears of corn!

You are being much more creative than we are with the zucchini. Most of it is getting shredded and frozen. But you just may have inspired us to try something different. :)

Ron

The Scavenger said...

Thanks Ron, man it's good to hear from you. The bread is great and we all love it.

Anonymous said...

Yum again!! You are quite the talented guy! I just picked my first zucchini the other day, so bread is not far off! Have a great day! Gen--IL homesteader

The Scavenger said...

Gen, thanks, I just like to learn all that I can about many different things. The bread was sooooo goooood. Gonna make more in a few days.

As always, thanks for reading my crazy stuff.

Chris

April said...

my mom makes a fantastic chocolate zucchini cake...