Monday, January 26, 2009

Getting Ready for Snow and Ice

This is what I found while taking a look at the weather....yuck..

.. WINTER STORM WARNING NOW IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 7 AM EST WEDNESDAY...
THE WINTER STORM WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 7 AM EST WEDNESDAY.
A MIXTURE OF SNOW... SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN IS EXPECTED TO OVERSPREAD THE AREA BETWEEN MIDNIGHT AND 6 AM TUESDAY MORNING... FALLING HEAVILY AT TIMES. THE PRECIPITATION IS THEN EXPECTED TO CHANGE OVER TO ALL FREEZING RAIN AFTER DAWN TUESDAY... MIXING WITH RAIN AT TIMES THROUGH THE REMAINDER OF THE MORNING AS TEMPERATURES RISE TO OR SLIGHTLY ABOVE FREEZING FOR MOST AREAS. UP TO 2 INCHES OF SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED... WITH ONE QUARTER TO ONE HALF INCH OF ICE FROM FREEZING RAIN EXPECTED BY NOON ON TUESDAY. THE PRECIPITATION SHOULD THEN TURN TO ALL RAIN FOR A TIME TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND TUESDAY EVENING AS TEMPERATURES WARM ABOVE FREEZING... BUT THE PRECIPITATION WILL THEN LIKELY TRANSITION BACK TO FREEZING RAIN... SLEET AND SNOW BY DAWN ON WEDNESDAY WITH ADDITIONAL LIGHT SNOW AND ICE ACCUMULATIONS LIKELY.
AT THIS TIME... IT APPEARS TOTAL SNOWFALL AMOUNTS WILL RANGE FROM 1 TO 3 INCHES FROM MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING... WITH SOME ADDITIONAL LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS POSSIBLE INTO THE DAY ON WEDNESDAY. AROUND ONE HALF AN INCH OF ICE FROM FREEZING RAIN IS ALSO EXPECTED. DOWNED POWER LINES... TREES... OR TREE LIMBS... COULD RESULT FROM THE WEIGHT OF THE ICE. RESIDENTS SHOULD PREPARE FOR POSSIBLE EXTENDED POWER OUTAGES. TRAVEL COULD ALSO BE EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.
THE EXACT AMOUNT AND TYPE OF PRECIPITATION WILL BE AFFECTED BY THE TRACK OF THIS STORM. IT IS IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER THERE CONTINUES TO BE A CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT OF UNCERTAINTY AS TO THE EXACT TRACK OF THIS WEATHER SYSTEM... SO BE SURE TO LISTEN FOR LATER UPDATES.
A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW... SLEET... AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

OK, no problem just got to get a few things in order is all. After making sure all the animals where well taken care of, I went to town and picked up a few extra snacks, chips, cookies and candy bars just to have to munch on during snow and ice that will be going on just outside our window. Stopped on the way home and topped off the gas tank in the Jeep...$6.00..lol If the power is out you may not be able to pump gas these days. No hand pumps anywhere that I've seen. Made sure all flashlights had fresh batteries and were within reach. All dishes are washed and so are the clothes. Everyone will be taking a hot shower tonight rather than wait till morning when there may not be electric service. Ice and snow are pretty hard on over hanging tree limbs and even the power lines themselves. If we get very much of either we could be in for a power outage that could last for a while. I also caught up some more drinking water...got plenty but this was a good chance to get more in storage. Solar lanterns are fully charged. Mine also have a wall charger and I used them to get a really good charge in them. One of my solar lanterns have a hand crank to charge it too. You can even plug your cell phone or ipod into and charge them too by hand power. Small one burner propane stove is ready and waiting for it's call to duty. I have 8, 2 pak propane bottles in storage. I have a tote full of firewood and more just outside the door if I need it. All in all, I'm ready for whatever may come. For more information on what to do if you are caught in a snow storm check out Kentucky Preppers Network. They have a great post on skills and ideas to keep you safe if you are caught in a storm.
Here's a few pictures of some of the preps I made today...the storm may pass..either way..I'm ready....Are you??

13 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Don said...

I saw that huge winter storm and thought about all my blogger friends and hope you stay safe.

I didn't realize you were expecting that much freezing rain. I think that is the worst of the stuff old man winter throws at us. It is so dangerous and really messes up the electricity grid.

Thanks for the info on how you prepared for this storm. Stay indoors and call in the dogs!

How's the smokes and cokes thing going?

HermitJim said...

Good for you, my friend, for taking action before you need it instead of waiting till the last moment like so many others.

Good practise run for the family, I'd say!

Hope everything works out...keep us posted if ya can.

Marie said...

Now that's what I call prepared--and one of the things I like about it is that it isn't all buying things, or even storage things--it's thinking ahead, like making sure that everything is clean so that you have more resources ready-to-use. Great ideas, and great post.

Coal Miner said...

For the people that follow along with the scavenger. I have to tell you, this is a great man. He tries each day to come up with something to benefit his family and the earth. Or as he likes to put it, "Screw the Goverment!" LoL
But not only does he come up with the thoughts, he actually applies what he thinks. He'll give anything at least one chance. He's smarter than most. I know this because I really know him personally. I'm blessed to call this man my father-n-law. And I'm a Scavenger believer. So if you pay close attention, I promise you'll learn something. Keep up the good blog Chris.
Your fan,
Adam

Gen-IL Homesteader said...

Wow, that was quite a detailed weather report. It's great to have a warning of what could come, isn't it? You were smart to make sure that your already-prepared-self was even more prepared! (How does that make the unprepared look?)

And, you have quite an admirer in your son-in-law! What a wonderful compliment! (BTW, I just became a mother-in-law last Friday! I hope that someday my s-i-l will be able to say such wonderful things about me like yours did about you!)

Hang in there these next few day! I hope it's not as bad as it sounds. If we don't hear from you, we'll understand. (Do you have that thing in you that WANTS to go through it, just to see how you'd survive? I have that. Like the disappointment that Y2K turned out to be nothing when we were ready for the big hit! Sounds crazy, I guess!) Take care!

TEAM HALL said...

That storms got nothin on you man! I can just see you flinging open the front door and yelling "BRING IT ON!!". lol
I'm with Adam...I love this guy!

Debbie said...

It started sleeting here last night and its still coming down. I wish I had thought about stocking up more on the propane for the small cook stove. I'm learning so much!

According to the news, we're suppose to have this all day and then snow tomorrow..... Woo Hoo! Another snow day and no school! *laughing*

Stay Warm,
Debbe

Woody said...

Chris...all we have here has been freezing rain. I tried to get out to work last night but barely made the first hill. I decided that the extra hour I allotted for my drive wasn't going to get it done. Snow is great...ice sucks! Hope ya'll stay safe and warm AT HOME.

peace

DayPhoto said...

I hope you are okay! This winter sure has been a mess.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

chips, cookies and candy bars
****************************
Chris, you are supposed to bake the goodies at home.

I'm thinking about my blogging friends in the path of the ice storm today. take care.

The Scavenger said...

Don, not as bad here as it could have been but it's not over just yet. Power is still on and everything is fine for now. Stay save man.

Smokes and cokes are still in control.

Hermit Jim, I like to be prepared for what ever may come my way. Eaiser to do it now rather than when the ice is beating on my bald head. lol

Marie, thanks, nothing like a little preparation in advance. Beats trying to get everything done last minute for sure. Plus it's all stuff that needed to be done anyway.

Coal Miner, just about made me jerk a tear there buddy. Thanks for taking time to read and comment.

Love you son, now go give my bady girl a big kiss from Daddy.
Chris

Gen, I'm know anyone would be proud to have you as a M-I-L, I know I would. And yes the warning is a great help. We should all look close at the weather to help us be better prepared. I'd kinda like for the grid to go down for a few days too....LOL

Team Hall, Standing on the steps " BRING IT BABY " lol

Debbie, reading blogs is a great way to learn new things, I stay online all the time learning. I love it. Maybe you can look at what you needed to do this time and get ready for the next. Make a list, it helps.

Woody, I'm with you man, love the snow, hate that ice. Thanks brother. Stay safe.

Linda, we'er doing fine. Could be a lot worse.

Thank you all for your comments and I hope you are all safe and prepared to what this system has for us. Thanks again for your concern, you guys are the best.

Chris

The Scavenger said...

Joanna, I guess I cheated a little. lol sorry. Stay safe and warm.

Chris